Office of Faith Formation
“God is always faithful and creative, …and creativity is the pillar of being a catechist.” – Pope Francis at the International Conference of Catechists, September 27, 2013
Faith Formation is an integral part of the life and mission of each baptized Catholic (Mt 28:19-20). As we grow in faith our relationship with Jesus Christ deepens and our response as disciples and witnesses encourages others to grow in faith too. The office supports our Bishops, Directors of Religious Education (Priest-Chaplains) and Coordinators of Religious Education on matters catechetical such as facilitating Forming Disciples for the New Evangelization: Archdiocesan Religion Curriculum Guide, AMS Family Faith Assessment and AMS Family Faith Passport, quality catechist formation, volunteer support, professional development and resources for leaders and parents to support the faith formation of Catholics in the military and their families around the world.
Forming Disciples for the New Evangelization: Archdiocesan Religion Curriculum Guide
Archbishop Broglio has promulgated the Archdiocesan Religion Curriculum Guide to provide a standard instrument for ensuring that the faith is taught in a complete, systematic and consistent way in the Catholic faith communities in the Archdiocese.
Letter from Archbishop Broglio to the Clergy and Lay Catechetical Leadership on the first year anniversary of the Archdiocesan Religion Curriculum Guide – August 6, 2014.
AMS Religion Curriculum Guide, Grades pre-K through 8
- Forming Disciples for the New Evangelization: Archdiocesan Religion Curriculum Guide and accompanying resources
- Decree 2013 – Archdiocesan Religion Curriculum Guide (pdf – 91.1KB)
- Formando discípulos para la nueva evangelización: Guía arquidiocesana del currículo de religión y anexos
AMS Religion Curriculum Guide, Grades 9 through 12
- Forming Disciples for the New Evangelization: Archdiocese Religion Curriculum Guide, Adolescent Catechesis, Grades 9-12
- Decree 2016 – Archdiocesan Religion Curriculum Guide Decree, Adolescent Catechesis, Grades 9-12 (pdf – 709 KB)
Catechist Manual for the Curriculum Guide
AMS Family Faith Assessment
- Curriculum Correlations – textbook correlations to support the AMS Curriculum
- Sample Thematic Calendar
- Sample lesson plans by grade for review and adaptation
- Sample Catechist Ministry Descriptions (pdf -152 KB)
- Catechists Talk Facebook group
- Curriculum Orientation Videos
- Catechetical Methodology Course Information (pdf – 72KB)
- AMS Lesson Planning Outline (pdf)
- AMS Fill-in Lesson Planning Outline (pdf)
Evangelizing Disciples eNewsletter
View the current eNewsletter for Catechetical leaders and sign up to become a subscriber.
The promotion of professional development and ministerial skills and spiritual nourishment are keys to successful leadership and religious education programs at the Catholic Faith Communities. Visit the Leadership Development page to find professional and training opportunities.
The Archdiocese for the Military Services, USA recommends that catechetical textbooks for elementary religious education programs be selected from the USCCB Conformity Review in collaboration with the Priest Chaplain.