- Archbishop Broglio promulgated Forming Disciples for the New Evangelization: Archdiocesan Religion Curriculum Guide Adolescent Catechesis, Grades 9-12 on February 11, 2016.
- Download the curriculum and supporting resources to prepare Year 1 topics for the 2016-2017 academic year. This curriculum guide will enhance the required catechetical component of Catholic youth ministry that is essential for ongoing faith formation especially in the high school years.
- Unpacking Faith: A Resource for Military-Connected Adolescents and their Parents. Learn about the book and free downloadable Unpacking Faith retreat resources for communities with military-connected youth.
- Additional resources and links that promote comprehensive Catholic Youth Ministry may be found on the web site of the National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry. The Archdiocese for the Military Services, USA is an affiliated member of the NFCYM. The AMS Office for Youth Ministry was created in 2003 through the support of the NFCYM.
Youth Ministry Certificate
- The VLCFF Basic Certificate in Youth Ministry requires the completion of eight courses. It is specifically designed for adults in parish youth ministry wishing to develop skills for effectively engaging young people in parish settings. The Archdiocese for the Military Services, USA is a partnering diocese with the Virtual Learning Community for Faith Formation (VLCFF). As such all military-connected participants may use the partner price for costs associated with registration and courses. (Click the link below for registration information.) The eight required courses include: Survey of Catholic Doctrine, Introduction to Scripture, Faith and Human Development, A Vision for Catholic Youth Ministry, Relations Ministry with Youth, Prayer and Worship with Adolescents, Diversity in Youth Ministry, and Planning Youth Ministry Events.
- The Archdiocese for the Military Services, USA highly encourages Catholic youth in military settings to participate in Catholic youth ministry with adult leaders who are pursuing the VLCFF Basic Certificate in Youth Ministry.
NET Ministries – Catholic Youth Retreats
- National Evangelization Team Ministries: Challenging Young Catholic to Love Christ and Embrace the Life of the Church. NET Catholic Youth Retreats are facilitated by trained NET team members that travel throughout the United States to evangelize young people through retreats. Choose from retreat themes that last a few hours to an entire weekend. Several military Catholic Faith Communities have held NET Ministries retreats at their military installations and have spoken highly of the experience. Contact NET Ministries and/or the local diocesan office of Catholic youth ministry to inquire when NET plans to be in the area. Follow this link to learn more on the NET Ministries website.
- The National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry has posted Recommended Technology Guidelines for Pastoral Work with Young People. This is an important resource especially for those utilizing Social Media in ministry settings. Note these are not policies but rather guidelines that local communities may refer to and consider as they implement their standards and policies. The AMS Office of Evangelization encourages military Catholic Faith Communities to review these guidelines in consultation with policies set by the local military Chapel and Command in order to encourage prudent, reasonable, and transparent use of technology.
The Archdiocese for the Military Services, USA encourages the gift of family life. The Unpacking Faith retreat is a resource designed for military Catholic Faith Communities to bring youth and parent(s) together to grow in the Catholic faith.
- Parents and youth will discuss some of the challenges of living a transient lifestyle.
- They will also discuss how the Catholic faith plays a key role in the life of military-connected families.
- The retreat is divided into three sections based on the biblical reference from the Acts of the Apostles, Acts 17:28, ‘In him we live and move and have our being.’
The planning guide leads a small retreat team of youth and parent leaders through the process of planning, preparing, facilitating, and evaluating a retreat for teens and parents. Coordinators need to make sure that they download the following three resources so that the planning team has all they need to prepare well.
The Unpacking Faith Retreat is based on the book Unpacking Faith: A Resource for Catholic Military-Connected Adolescents and their Parents, The Victoria Press, 2007 written by Mark T. Moitoza. The e-book may be downloaded for free via the AMS Digital Media Center.