On Sunday, January 24, the Church will celebrate Sunday of the Word of God. In his Apostolic Letter “Aperuit Illis,” Pope Francis declared that each year the Third Sunday in Ordinary Time is to be devoted to the celebration, study and dissemination of the word of God. In this letter, the pope explained, “Devoting a specific Sunday of the liturgical year to the word of God can enable the Church to experience anew how the risen Lord opens up for us the treasury of his word and enables us to proclaim its unfathomable riches before the world.”
Pope Francis has said that he hopes the Sunday of the Word of God will help the faithful to grow in religious and intimate familiarity with the sacred Scriptures. Here are some ways the Church can celebrate:
- Read the Apostolic Letter “Aperuit Illis” in which Pope Francis institutes Sunday of the Word of God.
- Find resources from the USCCB.
- Learn how to start and sustain a Bible study.
- Hold a prayer service to enthrone the Bible in the home and continue to share the Word of God at home.
- Ask your priest to bless family Bibles at Mass that Sunday.
- Pray with the Bible using the practice of Lectio Divina.