Everyone likes to be shown appreciation. We encourage our priests in the Military Archdiocese to be generous in their praise of the people who support their ministry.
The Archdiocese for the Military Services has several awards that may be requested to recognize individuals for their service.
Certificate of Appreciation
To qualify for the Certificate of Appreciation one must render special services to the religious program:
- without recompense
- over an extended period, or on the basis of a single, significant event
- and be generally respected by others
All Certificate of Appreciation requests must be submitted by the senior priest. The number of certificates per request is restricted to seven. There are no restrictions on the number of certificate requests per year.
Certificate of Distinguished Catholic Service
To qualify for the Certificate of Distinguished Catholic Service the recipient must:
- have distinguished himself/herself in an exemplary manner by contributing to the religious program
- be of good character, exemplary conduct, and have a good reputation in the community
- if married, in the church
- serve the church without recompense
All Certificate of Distinguished Catholic Service requests must be submitted by the senior priest. The number of certificates per request is restricted to seven. There are no restrictions on the number of certificate requests per year.
The Medal of the Archdiocese for the Military Services
To qualify for the Medal two sets of determinants are to be considered:
1.) Contributions to the religious program must be:
- Without recompense
- Over an extended period of time
- Clearly surpassing contributions of all others
- Outstanding in all respects
- Motivated by religious values
- Practices religion faithfully
- Provides good example to others
- Held in high esteem by associates
- Faithful to official church teaching
- If married, in the Church
This is the major award of the Archdiocese. Only five medals are awarded each year.
For the Certificate of Appreciation and the Certificate of Distinguished Catholic Service, forward a written narrative stating the qualifications of the proposed recipient and requesting the address below.
For the Medal of the Archdiocese for Military Services, all Medal requests MUST BE in writing and signed (no emails please). Please use the medal request form.
Jo Ann Redmond
Office of Awards and Certificates
Archdiocese for Military Services
P O Box 4469
Washington, DC 20017-0469