Given the realities of COVID-19 and that communities are unable to physically collect CRS Rice Bowls, individuals can submit CRS Rice Bowl gift online at: https://support.crs.org/donate/change-life-lent
We are called to build a culture of encounter. Lent is our time to encounter, to cultivate a spirit of global solidarity. CRS Rice Bowl can be our tool to do just that. Catholic Relief Services‘ Lenten faith-in-action program for families and faith communities is a vehicle through which the stories of communities around the world can be shared and an invitation through which our prayers and Lenten sacrifices can change lives.
- Through prayer, we encounter Christ, present in the faces of every member of our human family, so often still walking that long road to Calvary.
- Through fasting, we encounter our own obstacles, those things about ourselves that prevent us from loving God and neighbor.
- Through almsgiving, we encounter our brothers and sisters around the world, asking what we can give up so that others might have life to the fullest.
Families may turn in their Lenten gifts in the following ways:
• Call 877-435-7277 from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Eastern Time. Be sure to tell the operator that the gift is for CRS Rice Bowl
• Please write “CRS Rice Bowl” in the memo line of your check and mail it to Catholic Relief Services CRS Rice Bowl P.O. Box 17090 Baltimore, Maryland 21297-0303
• For those dioceses who received a postage paid Rice Bowl Envelope in their RBs, participants should send their gifts in that envelope. This global/local connection is important as communities in the United States and around the world are both struggling with the economic impacts
Through CRS Rice Bowl, we hear stories from our brothers and sisters in need worldwide, and devote our Lenten prayers, fasting and gifts to change the lives of the poor. Each day of Lent, individuals are invited to use the Lenten Calendar—included with every CRS Rice Bowl—to guide their Lenten almsgiving. These daily almsgiving activities—for example, give 25 cents for every faucet found in your home—help families reflect on the realities of our brothers and sisters around the world and how they can be in solidarity during the Lenten season.
- Each week of Lent, read stories of hope:
- Send your Lenten gifts from Rice Bowl directly to CRS
- Read Lenten reflections from CRS
- Family Resources for Lent from CRS
- Weekly prayer intentions and other communication resources
- Catechetical lesson plans that support Catholic Social Teaching
- Pray the Stations of the Cross with videos from CRS
- Eat meatless meals on Fridays during Lent with recipes from CRS