From the depth of my nothingness, I prostrate myself before Thee, O Most Sacred, Divine and Adorable Heart of Jesus, to pay Thee all the homage of love, praise and adoration in my power.
– Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus is a devotion to Christ’s Heart of flesh which represents and recalls His love for us. The devotion began in the 17th century, after Jesus appeared to Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque on several occasions asking to be honored in the symbol of His Heart with acts of reparation, frequent Communion, Communion on the First Friday of the month, and the keeping of the Holy Hour.
In 1856, Pope Pius IX established the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart, to be celebrated on the Friday after the Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ (Corpus Christi). This year, the Solemnity honoring Jesus’s heart falls on Friday, June 19. The entire month of June, the Sacred Heart is also honored in a special way. Take time during this month to reflect on Christ’s love for us.
- Learn how to celebrate the Sacred Heart in your home.
- Pray the Litany of the Sacred Heart
- Reflect on the Sacred Heart, pray a Novena, or make a spiritual offering
- Make an Act of Consecration to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
- Read papal encyclicals which teach about the Sacred Heart of Jesus: