For a Gift of Stock or Mutual Funds, please note the following:
1. Have you held the stocks for more than 12 months?
If so, and if the stocks have appreciated in value since you purchased them, please transfer the shares to the Archdiocese for the Military Services, USA (AMS) without selling them first (You will donate the shares, take a charitable deduction at their gift-date value, and pay no capital gains tax.) If the stocks have decreased in value, see #4 below.
2. Is the stock held in a brokerage account? If so,
- Contact your broker and tell him/her that you wish to transfer the stocks to the AMS brokerage account. (He/she will probably send you a form to complete and sign.)
- Provide the following information:
Financial Institution Name:
Cetera Advisor Networks LLC
Mr. Andy Didden
316 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE
Washington, D.C. 20003
Brokerage Title Account:
Brokerage Account Number:
Federal Tax ID number:
(TIN or EIN)
- Call the AMS Advancement Office at (202) 719-3600, ext. 3622. A letter will be provided to you for tax purposes.
3. Do you yourself hold the stock certificate(s)?
On the back of the certificate(s), on the blank line after the words constitute and appoint, write Archdiocese for the Military Services, then sign and date the certificate(s). Include a short letter to Mary Lavin, Director of Major Gifts/Advancement for the AMS, and indicate that you “relinquish rights to the (stock name) in favor of the Archdiocese for the Military Services.”
4. Are the shares worth less than you paid for them?
Sell the shares and donate the proceeds to the Archdiocese. Take the loss as a tax deduction, and use the gift of the proceeds as a tax-deductible charitable contribution.
5. If you have any other questions, please call the AMS Advancement Office (202) 719-3622.