Ministry to Catholic youth in the military falls under the guidance and involvement of the Catholic Chaplain. His collaboration with the command religious program, area chaplains, the coordinator of religious education, the youth ministry coordinator and/or other volunteers in the community serves as a way to assess the needs. The Archbishop’s expectation is that trained leaders will coordinate ministry to military-connected Catholic youth, this includes:
A full-time or part-time Catholic youth ministry leader with previous parish experience and a developed understanding of military life.
A Catholic adult volunteer and/or a Catholic adult volunteer core team with the desire to pursue youth ministry training.
A Catholic youth ministry contract developed in collaboration with the local Catholic Chaplain(s).
The Archdiocese for the Military Services, USA expects Catholic Chaplains and Catholic faith communities to refer to the 1997 US Bishops’ document Renewing the Vision when developing Catholic youth ministry within their local community. Incorporating the three goals from Renewing the Vision: A Framework for Catholic Youth Ministry represents a key starting point to empower young people to live as disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today, to draw young people to responsible participation in the life, mission, and work of the Catholic faith community, and to foster the total personal and spiritual growth of each young person.
Other helpful resources include:
- Groundbreaking: 10 Steps to Start Catholic Youth Ministry in the Military
- Developing a Military Youth Ministry Team
- Technology Guidelines for Pastoral Ministry with Young People
Youth Ministry News
- Learn about the St. George Trek, a high adventure Catholic leadership program for Boy Scouts and Venture Crew, being held July 5-20, 2017 in New Mexico.
- View the new AMS Curriculum Guide for Grades 9-12 that was implemented on August 6, 2016.
- Learn about the AMS Family Faith Assessment
- Looking for resources? Try the Diocesan Media Center: resources.milarch.org